This paragraph was written with several intentionel mistakes to see how many my word processor will spot and to test some free online programs. Some times I type to fast and put three spaces after a period, that effects my layout. Lets’ see if Microsoft Word or Grammarly spot at least 7 errers.
A professional editor would spot 8 errors; how many did you spot?
Microsoft Word spotted 4 errors: 3 possible spelling mistakes and one grammar.
Here are the results when I pasted the paragraph into some free online programs:
- Grammarly.com spotted 3 spelling errors and 1 style error (was written) in the free version; the paid Premium version may have spotted more.
- Ginger Software spotted 6 errors: intentionel, many, Some times, to fast, effects, errers.
- SpellCheck.net spotted 3 errors.
- Reverso.net spotted 3 errors.
- FreeSpellCheckers.com spotted 3 errors.
- SpellCheckPlus.com spotted 3 errors.
- PolishMyWriting.com spotted 4 spelling errors and 1 grammar error (was written)
A professional editor would spot 8 errors:
- 2 spelling errors: intentionel, errers
- 5 grammar errors: was written is passive voice, Some times should be Sometimes, effects should be affects, to fast should be too fast, Lets’ should be Let’s.
- 1 Typographical error: 3 spaces after a period should be 1.
Conclusion: We still can’t rely on software programs or apps to catch all mistakes; nothing tops a good editor.
How about you? Have you tried any online spell checkers?